started as a blog as an ode to my lappie Delta, now has become part of my usual weekly activity.




Saturday, January 07, 2006

Hungry bodies, Hungry minds, Hungry souls.

Mood: ALT + 058 + ALT + 124 (Thinking, Reflecting)

Just this morning, I woke up glad that my super throbbing headache last night subsided. So i decided to open up DELTA and check the news online over at inquirer. i read an article that said almost 17% of filipinos have experienced hunger in the past 3 months (according to SWS).

Alot of things went running through my head. The first thing i thought was: Does anyone still believe with the results of SWS? c'mon, among the millions of people in the Philippines, they claim to have an error of only plus or minus 3% from just surveying 1200 people. That's not even nearly 1% of the total population. And after all the controversies they've been through during the past elections, who would still trust survey giving bodies? Although i do believe that there is SOME truth to surveys, i still think that surveys are usually vehicles for propaganda. They try to sway people into the bandwagon. But that's just my own opinion.

but on the other hand, hunger is a serious issue. to be able to address the issue of petty crime, and low knowlegde absorption among the youth, we must take action on feeding the body. Personally, I could hardly work, study or be polite if my tummy is grumbling. My head tends to hurt really bad whenever hunger strikes. I believe everyone can't function well without proper sustainance. So what can we do to feed the people?

FOR THE GOVERNMENT: it's okay to increase VAT, but, you need to LOWER income tax for the middle class and widen the tax exemptioon for the lower class. The middle class needs lower taxes since they are the least of tax evaders yet they still have to pay more taxes on their everyday commodities with the presence of VAT. Give higher taxes to the rich. they can afford to pay more. hehehe. and btw, could someone file tax evasion cases to the large corporations who cheat on their taxes or dont pay at all? My gosh, Is Mr. Tan paying his taxes??? Very rich, yet very madaya. I think the proper term would be, "Walang puso at walang hiya". hmmm... Filipino terms to convey anger is so satisfying. No english term can do that! I have to admit that I think in English, yet my heart is purely Filipino.

FOR THE MEDIA: stop sensationalizing news! the country is deep in shit as it is, you don't have to put more shit in a shitty scenario. we need the truth and we don't need more than what there is. you make this country look hopeless when there's always hope for change. and btw, stop the network wars and your shitty shows! pambihirang buhay, sawang sawa na ako sa mga teenie-boper idols nyo na 'di marunong umarte o magsalita! Isa't kalahati silang jologs! natawa ako, even the term "jologs" is so jologs! hahaha. in know the shows aren't really related to poverty, yet i just had to get it out of my head. haha

FOR THE FILTHY RICH: pay your taxes and give better wages you greedy bastards! How can you sleep soundly at night? I can think of a bunch of words right now that could describe you guys, and they don't sound nice. hehehe

FOR ME and FOR ALL: I personally got reminded of how I should be volunteering to help out a project that will help my fellow men. sharing some of our spare time to help the less fortunate won't hurt our egos. There's always a project nearby which we can volunteer for. Right now, I think i want to join the project for the children's library. Actually, I'd like to join a story telling group for the kids. anybody know of a group in QC which conducts story telling and reading for kids?

FOR THE HAPLESS: the road to a better life starts with ourselves. If we want to uplift our condition, then we should stop relying on others and act up for ourselves. There are people who will help us pick up the pieces of our lives, yet ultimately, it is in our hands to put then together.

MALNURISHMENT is HUNGER of the body, IGNORANCE is HUNGER of the mind, and HOPELESSNESS is HUNGER of the soul. but without satisfying the core hunger of the body, one cannot find wisdom, nor see hope.

What can we do to help?



Thought chain: on tax evaders, I was so happy when the BIR filed a case against richard gomez. For some reason, I just hate him so much. I guess it's because he's arrogant, he thinks being an actor makes him a good politician, and because he has the guts to criticize the government when he has done nothing to make the country better. just my opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home