started as a blog as an ode to my lappie Delta, now has become part of my usual weekly activity.




Friday, August 11, 2006

A reading list...

[Mood] Zzzz... (Still sleepy.)

I have an exam today at 4pm. I can't seem to get concentrated at what I'm reading. so many readings, so little time, plus the fact that my profesor in comparative lit promised us an objective exam. Yup, you heard me right. She's gonna ask the who, what and when questions because she thinks analysis is already done inside the classroom. bummer. I hate memorizing titles, authors and dates. I wonder how critical her questions can get. anyway, while reading through the reading list, I suddenly realized I haven't read a good book in the last couple of months, well, I have, but I've failed finishing the books I started. like, I never got to finish reading Milan Kundera's Unberable lightness of being because it bored me, or how the hundred years of solitude intrigued me, yet 3/4th's way through, I got busy, wasn't able to continue reading it, and a few days ago, when I picked it up again, I was already lost (since marquez used, reused and reused the names of the characters over and over again through the generations. good thing there's a family tree on the first part of the story, bad news is that some of their lifespans overlap. so somewhere in the story you'd find three people of the same name, slept with the same woman, or had affiliations with the same people and the same war). So, where was I? Oh, yeah, the realization... I realized that I need to finish the books I've started and to create a reading list of books I want to buy and read.

Books I didn't finish:

* Milan Kundera's Unberable Lightness of Being (Bored by page 100+ i think, sorry, I think I got bored with the philosophical inserts. maybe i'm just shallow. hahaha.)
* Gabriel Garcia Marquez' A hundred Years of Solitude (Really want to finish this)
* Gabriel Garcia Marquez' Strange Pilgrims (Bored by page 10, but wanna get back at it kasi sayang yung book. Gift from Dan)
* Paolo Coelho's By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept (I think by page 50, I was dead bored. second thoughts on returning to this book, besides, I don't know where I kept my copy of this book. I think somebody borrowed it.)


Books I'd like to read:

* Gabriel Garcia Marquez' Love in the Time of Cholera (Heard it's Garcia Marquez' best book, so far my favorite is Of Love and Other Demons. the first book i read that he wrote which caught my imagination)
* Milan Kundera's Slowness (heard it from my prof)
* Mich Albom's The Five People you meet in Heaven (have a copy of his book at home and his other books, but i think this is the one i plan to read at this time)
* Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code (yup, didn't want to read it, but now just curious. not gonna buy, have ebook. hahaha)
* Paolo Coelho's Zahir (don't actually know what it's about, hope I won't get disappointed)
* O'Reilly's Head First Java (for my SCJP certification, not your usual coffe table book)
* C.S. Lewis' Screw Tape Letters (heard from Macky)

well, so far, yun lang goal ko this year. Yes, year. I'm not very much of a reader, plus the fact that i'm kinda busy with other stuff such as dota. hahaha. kidding. Thesis i mean. And I usually read books of authors that have caught my interest in reading their other works. Yun nga lang, I get disappointed sometimes. Coelho caught me in the alchemist, disappointed me twice in by the river piedra, and disappointed me once more in Veronika decides to die (predictable). So, anyone wanna suggest your favorite authors which you think I'll like?






Though Chain: I have to get back to studying fo my lit exam. hehe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home