started as a blog as an ode to my lappie Delta, now has become part of my usual weekly activity.




Saturday, January 21, 2006

Of TV and Telenovelas

Mood: ALT + 016 (Switch out... looking at perspectives)

Sometimes, I just wish that mobile internet was cheap so that I could virtually surf the web anywhere. A while ago, while on my way home to Laguna from QC on a BBL bus, I found myself with nothing to do but pass the time by watching the show on the TV. It was my first time to watch "Gulong ng Palad" (since I had no choice). I have to admit that i've watched a couple of telenovelas before. May pagka-jologs din ako minsan. hahaha. Remember the times of the start of the latinovela fever with Marimar? It was waayyy back then, and yes, I chanced to watch a few episodes in the afternoon for a week (was sick for a week that time). But don't get me wrong, I was watching it at the time that it wasn't a hit yet. But somehow, it did intrigue me. The story kasi was different, and thalia was pretty. anyway, back to present day telenovelas, I somehow found their story OLD, and their dialogues OLDER. What's new about a story of a rich guy falling in love with a poor maiden? But worse, why is the dialogue so formally written? I guess what separates me from liking alot of local shows is the fact that the dialogue's tone is in written language instead of spoken language: Long formal sentences which dont usually get to be uttered. It's the year 2006, and I guess since the setting is placed in this day and age, the best thing to do is to also adopt its language tone.

The next show was "anghel na walang langit". This show i do watch sometimes. The acting of some of the kids are good. and the language somehow stays true to the current setting. It has potential for a drama, yet the story does get to be cliche at times. But take note, this show tackles alot of social issues such as child labor, adoption, homosexuality, STDs, broken families, cancer, and alot more. It does get to be branded as a soap opera featuring the journey of the lives of the kids, yet it also brings to light current issues which we do face. Sometimes, the language does get to be stiff, yet usually, you can relate to the tone of the dialogue. I don't know the name of the woman who plays the role of the person who adopted a young girl (the one in the bestfoods commercial), but she can show emotion in her acting. The latest episode (which I watched in the bus), shows her plight of being diagnosed with cancer.

So what shows do I watch currently? I like foreign shows like the humor of House, the craziness of Desperate Housewives, and I do miss the regular amazing race (not the boring family edition). Locally, I like watching the lovely girls of F (but I do miss daphney's shortlived show, "guide to urban living". she's funny there), I have to admit that I watch "Wish Ko lang" (show about life with a touch of a tear-jerker, can't get any real than this), Sometimes I get to watch the funny kids of Going Bulilit, and i chance upon "bubble gang" every now and then. 'di naman ako elitista eh (may slapsoil bang elitista? hahaha), but I guess there are local shows which just need a bit of fine tuning to make its appeal interesting to a wide scope of audience. btw, I just hope that teeny-bopper shows would stop. Nakakainis na silang panoorin! Buti sana kung marunong umarte! Number 1 na sa HATELIST ko yung Darna, then Sugo, then the teen talent searches. Its not that I hate Darna, its just that I dont like Angel Locsin. Hahaha. Ang tigas kasi ng dila nya, and she's a real BAAAAADDDDDDD actress. Generic ang emotions ng mukha nya. Let's include Richard Gutierrez on the list of BAAAADDDD actors. He looks and talks like an airhead.

Buti nalang hindi ganun kalaki ang scope ng audience ng blog ko. kung hindi, isang damakmak na hatemail na ang dumating sa akin. hahaha. sorry guys, if you like the shows, just pardon me. It just really doesn't cater to my taste.



Though chain: Once, I did try acting... in theater that is (who would have thought I ever tried even auditioning for a play, hahaha). I auditioned before for damit ng emperador in UP. We were already rehearsing the play and the songs when it got cancelled due to lack of funds. It was the 2nd edition of the said play. The first one was a smaller production showed in the College of engg theater. this one was supposed to be in the UP theater (I guess the first one raked in cash, but it wasn't enough to support a bigger one). Anyway, didn't join any play after that.

2 Comments:

Blogger ascii said...

The actor was John Lapus aka sweet, the showbiz talkshow host.

I never thought you would actually try out for theater. maybe someday you could try it out again. I know part of me would want to try it once more. ;)

9:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hate mail
hate mail
hate mail

no, this is what i call hate comment.

good thing i do not have an antenna right now for my tv. i can't watch anything ever since i dropped my cable subscription. hiram na lang ng mga series dvds.

but i used to watch spanish telenovelas before the fad. ibc 13 and rpn 9 were the first to show them i believe.

3:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home